Tuesday, November 6, 2012

November is here.


Forever Best Friends.

This is dedicated to the world's most doting and wonderful mother. 

My Ma and I often take walks, and as we walk, she educates me on the flora around us. She names trees and flowers and shrubs and creepers; scientific latin uttered with every step.
I remember this, like it was yesterday.
 I must have been five or six. We were walking around our coffee plantation in Coorg and she stopped by a flowering shrub. It had bright red flowers that looked like budding hibiscus'. Ma plucked one off of the shrub, removed its calyx (the little green cap that the flower wears at its base) and sucked at the back of the flower. I stared at her and soon followed suit. Oh my! That sense of wonder and surprise makes me smile even today! As I sucked at the back of the flower, I could taste honey! I spent the rest of the afternoon sucking all the honey from most of the flowers I could reach up to. And when they ran out of nectar, I tried eating the flowers (I do not do this on a regular basis, both Ma and Me are pro 'long live nature'). We then made garlands with the plucked flowers to adorn the various frames of Hindu Gods and Godesses in my grandmothers' puja room.

Thank you Ma, for everything. 
You let me explore, make mistakes, dust it off and stand up again. 
You stopped me from nothing.
I try, everyday, to be half as good a person as you are. 

Here's wishing you the brightest, most enjoyable year ahead. 
Happy Birthday,
I love you.

- Mamoni.

5 comments:

Shalmi said...

I don't know much about artistic technique, but I'm very curious about how you get that luminosiy, here and in the other pictures where you've painted sunlight. It's absolutely beautiful, needless to say.

Lavanya said...

Thank you! :D Well it's quite simple! if the drawing and colouring is digital you keep the lighting on a different layer, it's easy, you just understand how the light would fall on the characters/background and then colour over it like you would colour normally. On paper, you may need to understand how the light falls on the composition from the start itself and colour everything in one go. Does that explain things a little?

geetika said...

the colors are so beautiful!!

geetika said...

the colors are so beautiful!!

Lavanya said...

thank you so much Geetika! :D